Farias Family Law, P.C: The Complete MA Divorce Firm

Serving Throughout Bristol County, Plymouth County & Norfolk County
Divorce is a new beginning - a renewed opportunity for hope, happiness, and growth. Financial security is a key piece of the foundation for this next chapter in your life. And if children are involved, you need an arrangement with them that will put them in the best position to thrive and to have a deep and meaningful relationship with you. We craft solutions to ensure that your immediate needs are met and that you are also well-positioned long-term.

What are the core principles at work? Our firm offers aggressive representation, which will maximize the chances of obtaining your desired outcome, while also providing you with the education and support you need to effectively guide you through the process. We take pride in having a reputation for delivering results and helping clients achieve their family law goals.

We offer representation in all areas of family law, including divorce, property division, alimony, modifications, contempt, child custody, child visitation, child support, uncontested divorces, prenuptial agreements, and all other related domestic issues. This firm will fight to get you the best results while making the experience for you as smooth as possible.

Learn More

What Happens to My Business in Divorce?

If you own a business and divorce is on the horizon, it may benefit you to consult a divorce attorney sooner rather than later to prepare yourself for the process and protect your interests.

Dividing a 401(k) and Other Retirement Assets in Divorce

You’re divorcing because you need a new beginning. However, you must also keep the end in mind. How will retirement look for you financially? How much money will you have to live on? Your divorce can have a significant impact on these questions.

Tips for Choosing a Divorce Lawyer Who Won’t Take You to the Cleaners

Picking a divorce lawyer is not exactly as much fun as buying a new car or planning your next vacation. But choosing wisely can mean the difference between a future of happiness and prosperity and one of sadness and financial struggle.

Client Reviews

Thomas Secula

I am very pleased with how Bill Farias handled my case. I live in New Jersey and was forced to pick Bill after researching lawyers in the Fall River area. I found Bill to be an excellent person to work with. He is a very good listener. After hearing the specifics of my case he gave me a rational picture of what he felt he could do for me. I am very pleased with the outcome and would recommend him to anyone else.

Download our eBook

Why Download this book?

You can influence the outcome of your divorce, and reading this book gives you the information you need to give yourself the best chance of a good outcome. Divorce should be a positive and liberating experience. It marks the beginning of a new chapter in your life—a fresh start. However, your financial future is on the line as well as your relationship with your children if you have any. Will you just “go with the flow” and hope things work out or would you rather gain the knowledge and take the steps necessary to improve your chances of meeting you divorce goals? If you want to take action, this book is the best place to start: a concise informative guide that gives you the tools you need to end your divorce in the best position possible. .

Video Series

Frequently Asked Divorce Questions

1 Is there anything I should immediately do if I think I may need a divorce?
Gather as much financial information about your spouse as possible (paystubs, bank statements, tax returns, mortgage info, retirement and investment account info, etc.), keep a log of significant events that you may need to accurately recount later, and consult an experienced family law attorney as soon as possible. Some preparation and putting a reliable plan in place now can save you money and aggravation later.
2What’s the divorce process?
A complaint is filed, the other party is served with a summons and a copy of the complaint, and the case begins. If an issue requires immediate attention (i.e. child custody/visitation/support or alimony), the parties may go to court for temporary orders. During the next phase, information - usually financial - is exchanged between the parties and there are negotiations. If the case is resolved, an agreement is signed and the divorce finalized. If any issues are unresolved, the case proceeds to trial.
3How should I search for an attorney?
This decision could mean the difference between walking away from a marriage with a favorable arrangement and financial stability or struggling for years to come. Use the internet to research attorneys: their reviews, qualifications, and past client experiences. Ask people you trust for recommendations. And hire an attorney that focuses on divorce practice.
4How is property divided in a divorce?
There’s an “equitable distribution” of the marital assets in divorce, which essentially means the property must be divided fairly. This includes real estate, retirement accounts and other investments, cash, businesses, and everything else the parties own. Age, income, health, assets, and contributions to the marriage are some of the factors the court considers in division. The longer the marriage, and the more equal the contributions from the parties - including non-economic contributions like home-making and child-rearing - the more likely it is that the property will be divided equally.
5How to legally change your name back to your maiden name?
You must formally request to resume your former name on a document filed with the court during your divorce case, usually the complaint for divorce or the answer/counterclaim. At the final divorce hearing, it’s advisable to politely remind the judge to allow your request. After your divorce is approved, you’ll receive a divorce nisi document indicating that the court allowed you to resume your former name. Finally, once you have that document, you must apply to Social Security for the name change.
6How do I pay bills while the divorce is pending in court?
If you and your spouse have an agreement on how to divide the financial obligations, you can proceed accordingly. However, if there’s an issue of responsibility for any of the bills, your attorney would file a motion for temporary orders, which results in a hearing at which the judge determines financial responsibility and issues an order. This temporary order remains in effect until either it’s changed by agreement of the parties or a subsequent court order or the divorce is finalized.
7How much circumstantial evidence is needed to prove adultery?
There’s no set amount of evidence that’s required. But generally, ask yourself whether a judge would believe based on the facts presented that there’s adultery. The first question, however, is how much time and resources you should spend in trying to prove it. Unlike decades ago when adultery resulted in criminal convictions and automatic loss of marital property, today, it’s viewed more as a symptom of a broken marriage. To be clear, cheating still doesn’t leave a good first impression on a judge. However, for adultery to significantly affect a divorce case, it must be proven that it either 1) affected the family finances (i.e. blowing money on vacations with the mistress or boyfriend), or 2) affected parenting (blowing off parenting time for adultery).
8At what age can a child choose which parent to live with after divorce?
Usually when a child is around 14 years of age and/or entering high school, the court will give significant weight to the child’s residential preference. The court’s position is that trying to force an older child to live with a certain parent against his/her wishes usually causes more harm than good. Nonetheless, if the parent with whom the child wants to reside has serious mental health or substance abuse issues or presents a significant risk to the child of abuse or neglect, the court may not allow the child to live with him/her.

Stay In Touch With Us

Have any questions?


Call Our Fall River Office

(508) 675-0464

Call Our Easton Office

(508) 682 8060

Fall River and Easton Divorce Office Locations